Fast Facts: OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center (EJC)
What is the EJC?
Journal Center is a collection of more than 8,200 full-text research journals
from 100+ publishers, covering a wide range of disciplines. Researchers can
download electronic articles instantly, read entire journal issues online,
create e-mail or RSS alerts for new issues, save searches, and set up automatic
search alerts for new search results.
1998 – The Electronic Journal Center debuted with
the complete collections of Elsevier Science and Academic Press. Roughly 1,400
journal titles were available initially.
1999 – OhioLINK received Council of State Government’s
Innovations Award for the Electronic Journal Center.
2002 – 49th EJC publisher added
2007 – 108th EJC publisher added
Current students, faculty and staff at participating OhioLINK institutions
can access the EJC online from any location.
- OhioLINK users have access to a much wider array of scholarly materials
than is available through local library’s print collections. On average
Ohio’s major universities hold an average of only 25% of the available
scholarly journals, but users at those institutions utilize 80% of the available
- The OhioLINK EJC allows libraries to cooperatively purchase scholarly journals
by providing immediate online access to shared content.
Total cost for 2007: $26.1 million
Cost funded by OhioLINK: $4.3 million
Cost funded by OhioLINK Libraries: $21.8 million
Estimated cost to duplicate in print at universities: $105 million
- The EJC contains more than 8,200 journals and 12.2 million articles from
100+ publishers (through February 2009).
- Users downloaded more than 6.8 million articles from the EJC from March
2008 through February 2009.
- More than 42.7 million total articles have been downloaded from the EJC
Publishers Included in the EJC
- Academic Press
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Physics
- American Physical Society
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Berkeley Electronic Press
- BioMed Central
- Blackwell Publishing
- Blackwell Science
- Cambridge University Press
- Duke University Press
- Elsevier Science
- Humana Press
- Ingenta (contains 13 publishers)
- Institute of Physics
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Kluwer Law
- Lawerence Erlbaum Associates
- MCB University Press
- Optical Society of America
- Oxford University Press
- Project MUSE (66 publishers)
- The Royal Society
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Sage Publications
- Thieme Medical Publishers
- Transaction Publishers
- Wiley InterScience
Last Update: April 2009