This page serves as a list of database maintenance ideas that your institution can start with for local metadata clean up. It will continue to be updated and expanded upon as the DIAD Database Maintenance and Knowledgebase Project Team begins its work and as more metadata clean up project ideas are identified, including through OhioLINK member submitted ideas via the form below.
Database maintenance project ideas are now available in the Info Hub. The resources below will also be added there soon. Logging in to Ostaff also provides access to detailed information, including documentation.
Database maintenance project resources
- Sierra documentation from Innovative
- Sierra "create lists" resources
- "Create lists" chapter in the Sierra manual*
- Sierra reporting tools training and learning resources created by Innovative
- Create lists, database cleanup, and statistics instructions
- Youtube video "Sierra basics - create a list" created by the Five Colleges of Ohio (~9 minutes)
- Youtube video "Sierra basics - exporting a list" created by the Five Colleges of Ohio (~2 minutes)
- "Create lists" knowledge base created by Marmot Library Network
- Presentation slides "Regular expressions for data cleanup in Sierra" created by Lloyd Chittenden, Marmot Library Network
- Sierra SQL resources
- Sierra SQL & API training and learning resources created by Innovative
- Presentation slides "How Sierra SQL changed my life" created by Paul Shirley, Cuyahoga Falls Library
- Includes set up instructions and getting started with Sierra SQL
- SQL wiki that includes basic SQL queries to use in Sierra
- Webinar "Sierra SQL for Record Data Review" created by Innovative, presented by Jason Boland (~51 minutes)
*Indicates a CS Direct or Supportal login required
Submit your database maintenance project ideas & resources!
Please use this Ostaff form to submit ideas and resources (such as any related presentation website or video, name of a listserv, online documentation, etc.). We want all kinds of ideas: what you have done, heard about, or that you want to do but haven't gotten to yet. Ideas will be reviewed for including in a knowledgebase to serve as an online resource available for anyone wanting to do databases maintenance and clean up projects in their local catalogs.
Last updated 8/26/22