Reporting and Correcting Central Catalog Errors

Errors in Central Catalog bibliographic records can usually only be corrected by personnel from the institution that owns the record at Central. Please refer to How to Tell Who Owns the Record at Central.

Each institution has a contact person who is charged both with receiving error reports about records that institution owns, and with sending error reports after determining the owning library. The Cataloging Errors Contact Roster contains these names and e-mail addresses.

In addition, these contact people are on a closed OhioLINK email list: This list is for exchanging information about problems that need to be corrected by many institutions. When an institution's contact sends a message to that list, it is helpful to include the 945 fields, because they list the contributing libraries. This signals who will need to take action.

In general, the sorts of problems that should be reported as errors are those that result in search and retrieval problems, such as:

  • Incorrect filing indicators
  • Misspellings which affect a search
  • Authority errors
  • CIP record in Central needs to be replaced
  • Merged OCLC records

For procedures for reporting Table of Contents (970 field) errors, see How TOC Errors Are Handled.

If you are in doubt about who should receive a report, or to report adds and changes to the list, contact OhioLINK Support.

OhioLINK Errors of Consequence Form

The owning library will need the following pieces of information in order to correct the problem. Use this form; or you may just report errors by e-mail, incorporating all the relevant information needed.

Central Site Record Number .b__________________

OCLC Number ________________________________

Owning Library _______________________________


Title ___________________________________________

Description of the problem. Attach documentation if necessary.

Errors notifications from OhioLINK

What are errors notifications? OhioLINK sends errors notifications when there is a problem with a record(s) an institution is contributing to the Central Catalog. Often OhioLINK finds these errors as part of large cleanup projects.

How do I correct errors? Each errors notification email will state what needs to be corrected. Often, a local record will need to be suppressed from view in the Central Catalog. More information about suppression codes is available here. If OhioLINK sends local bibliographic numbers, please be sure to add an "a" to the end of each local bib number, which functions as the check digit in your local system.

What are "stuck records"? Occasionally, records in local catalogs still appear in the Central Catalog even though they have already been deleted from the local catalog or are already suppressed from the Central Catalog (using BCODE3 = z). OhioLINK reports these "stuck" records to Innovative so they can be removed from the Central Catalog, but we need confirmation from an institution before we can report them as "stuck". Please be sure to email OhioLINK with "stuck" records you find.

What if I receive hundreds or thousands of records I need to suppress from the Central Catalog? There’s a simple way to gather all errors records in your local catalog and correct them all at the same time. See the instructions “How to import records into Sierra's 'create lists' function" in the "Errors Notifications Instructions" document attached below.

April 19, 1999
last updated October 2022