The Marion Campus Library supports the learning, research and service activities of students, faculty and staff at The Ohio State University and Marion Technical College. Through collaborative efforts with The Ohio State University Libraries, the OhioLINK consortium and campus departments, we provide a variety of print and electronic materials and instruct users in finding and using the various resources. In addition, we offer enhanced learning experiences through exhibits, displays and other library programming.
OhioLINK spoke with the Marion Campus library director to find out about the services and resources the library provides.
What are three things you have the most pride in at your library?
- Our service - our staff takes pride in being friendly and helpful and willing to go the extra mile to answer a question, locate a resource and assist patrons in using our resources. Our staff is small but our student assistants provide great frontline service and are ready to help with a smile as do the other staff, who assist faculty and students with research and other information needs; our goal is to make them want to come back again.
- Displays/Exhibits – I believe that the library should serve as a partner in providing educational experiences to students and the campus and displays and exhibits are a great way to do that. We have been fortunate to host several traveling exhibits and have enjoyed collaborating with community groups and even students, faculty and staff on local displays. Our staff develops a variety of themes to highlight throughout the semester, from the Civil War to Genealogy (using their own family tree research) to various health topics, showcases special collections of our students, faculty and staff from tiny books and political buttons to perfume bottles. We support campus events and activities using our cases to welcome new students back to campus and to inform them about special days, such as Constitution Day and also to spotlight faculty research. Whether displaying spiders or Harry Potter Quidditch brooms or Victorian underwear, there is usually something to catch a student’s eye when they visit the library.
- Our collections – we have a variety of collections that focus on specific subjects, such as our Virginia Allen Children’s Literature Collection, Wellness Collection (materials for students that address the nine dimensions of Wellness), the Ted Myers Civil War Collection and our special collection on Warren G. Harding and Norman Thomas, but we also offer local history materials and serve as a resource for area schools and community members.
What's the most popular spot in your library for students and patrons?
Our computers and discussion rooms. We have several rooms that students can use for group or solo study and we have seen an increase in their usage in the past year. The computers are always popular, too.
How long have you been a member of OhioLINK?
Since we are a regional campus of The Ohio State University, we joined when they did, in 1994. Marion Technical College joined at that time as we serve as their library, too.
To learn more about the Marion Libraries at The Ohio State University at Marion and Marion Technical College Library:
- Please visit their website
- To take a tour of the library, they are located at 1469 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Marion, Ohio 43302