× Submissions for this form are closed.


This page has been replaced by two other options for reporting an issue:
  1. Go to https://journals.ohiolink.edu and scroll to the bottom of the page. Click on Report a Problem.
  2. Use the Request Support form here on the OhioLINK website.


Report a problem with an article

Please notify us if you locate an article, but the PDF file for the text itself is blank, unreadable, incomplete, or otherwise inaccessible. Include the article URL. We will contact the publisher to get a corrected file.

Unfortunately we cannot make any projections about receipt. If you have a time-sensitive need for the article, please seek the article elsewhere (print, or interlibrary loan if your library does not subscribe to print).