Miami University's Affordable Learning Initiatives
- Advocacy Initiatives: Open Educational Resources and Affordable Learning initiatives are being promoted to the Miami University campus community in several ways, including grant programs. The “OER Explore” grant program offered by the Miami University Libraries provides faculty members the opportunity to learn more about OER/AL initiates and gain hands-on experience working with them. Members of the Miami University OER Committee have been visiting departments to talk about OER and AL initiatives and promote the University’s grant program. Committee members also provide one-on-one OER/AL consultations, visit campus events to share information about these initiatives and are currently developing an OER library (print) through which faculty can checkout OER to review them for use in course instruction. The Library’s’ OER libguide also provides useful information for faculty, staff, and students: http://libguides.lib.miamioh.edu/OER.
- Adoption Initiatives: The Provost Office at Miami University provides an “OER Adopt” grant opportunity for faculty looking to replace their commercial textbook with an OER
- Creation Initiatives: In 2018 Miami University will be launching a grant program aimed at encouraging faculty to create OER that can be substituted for commercial textbooks.
- Alternate Textbook Initiatives: In 2018 Miami University will be launching a grant program through which faculty will work with members of the Miami University Libraries to identify library resources and open resources that can be substituted for textbooks.
- Other Affordable Learning Initiatives: The Course Pack Consultation Services grant program sponsored by the Provost Office and the Miami University Libraries helps address affordability issues in higher education by reducing or eliminating course pack costs.